Sunday, July 13, 2008

People

People watching has always been a favourite pastime of mine. It's amazing what you can learn when you observe. I was struck yesterday by the contrasts between so many of my friends. There are some who have a clear sense of who they are and the direction their lives are going. I watched yesterday with some amusement (and don't get me wrong, it wasn't a laughing at them kind of amusement, more a sense of awe) while one spoke so passionately about the thing that was most important in their life while apologising profusely for taking up my time and probably boring me. It wasn't boring, and I fail to see how anyone could think it was, to see another human being so enthusiastic, willing to share, and positively glowing at just the mention of their passion. The particular passion wasn't something I shared and probably not anything I'm likely to share to that extent, but to me, it's a beautiful thing to see someone do something with their life and follow their dream, and watch those eyes of fire light up with the mere mention of the things they love.

And then the contrast in one day, of someone just sitting and waiting for life to evolve and not taking charge and leading the way to their dreams. Just sitting back and waiting for life to come to you. And it never does. And I had to think to myself that I've probably been a bit guilty of that myself of recent times. While I believe in fate and that everything happens for a reason, and all of that - life still requires some effort on your part to make it happen. When we sit still, we stagnate. Life virtually passes us by. We experience nothing. We feel the lack of fulfillment in our life but we do nothing about it. We exist, but that's it, we just exist - we don't LIVE.

I'm not really sure where the journey of life is likely to take me from here. But I am resolved to the fact that I'm from here on going to be a participant, and not a casual observer, of my own life. My boss despite some of his questionable (in my opinion only of course) philosophies in life has one that is beginning to resound with me - that is "You sleep with dogs - you wake up with fleas" And as I've said before - while I don't sleep with my dogs even though they don't have fleas, I still get the message behind the quote. I guess at the end of the day it's a matter of getting your head around what you want for your life. Looking at the people who are truly happy with their lives, you can easily see why they are. They are the ones who don't sit still and wait for it to happen - they reach out for the things they want and pursue their passion.

Another conversation yesterday regarding the amazing time we live in with all the incredible opportunities and things - like this powerful thing we know as the www. Sometimes it's such an incredible thing and sometimes it's such an incredibly time consuming thing.... I will have to slap the Boofcheese - I can see Facebook looming as a bit of an obsession. I will of course try to resist. That's after I raise enough funds to buy a few more friends as Hotties... LOL

Happy Sunday folks.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Gorgeous, been thinking of you this week and hoping all is OK.Hope to catch up real soon.Love to you and the Boofcheese.

11:10 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

Have just been checking out your slide show of layouts.........really miss seeing your beautiful work Maree. Hope life is treating you well.
Take care.

SHaron (sharden)

1:24 pm  
Blogger Leah said...

Hi there!! Just a quick note to check how you're doing and also to let you know that Mel & I have finally got that design-your-own PP challenge going at Scrap-Pile. Details are on my blog and at the Pile. Hope you can join in, after all, it was your idea!! Thanks for suggesting it. It's a great idea!

7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home