Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Contrasts

I am always struck by the various contrasts in life. And they seem to come at the strangest of times. It's almost like an "in your face" comparison. It just goes to show the gods work in mysterious ways I guess. But you sometimes look at people you thought you knew in such a different way than you have seen them before. Sometimes you come up disappointed. There was a time in my life that I was very disappointed with myself. I see now how I took no pride in my appearance, lost my sense of identity and my self esteem. And I virtually handed over all of my personal power to someone else.

I know now that I could never do that again. And so it strikes me so powerfully to see others in the same situation. As much as I don't believe a book can be judged by it's cover - at the same time - you are often only perceived by the image you portray. Pride in your personal appearance is often the only perception the outside world gets to glimpse of the inner you. Looking less than your best in a professional situation (to me at least) just says so much about you and your life.

Interestingly I have started a new job this week working as a personal assistant to a man who portrays an interesting combination of power and self esteem. It has been an interesting combination of admiration and recollection of what seems like a lifetime ago when I worked for him straight out of school for some 6 years. In many ways it feels as though nothing has changed - but then so much has changed in the 23 years since I worked for him last. I am reminded of so many things. But foremost in my mind (both personally and professionally) is how far I am removed from the person I was 4 months/23 years ago.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home