Sunday, March 16, 2008

Significance of dreams.

I am always interested in the interpretation of dreams. Until recently, I really haven't had dreams, at least that I can recall, in a very long while. But there have been two dreams that I was interested to pursue the meaning of. One I actually figured out this morning in the course of trying to interpret the other.

The first dream was some months ago. It was short but vivid. Shane and I were in my car, he was driving (from where I don't know) and approaching my driveway except that the direction we were approaching from was the wrong way - since my road is a dead end about 300 metres along from our house. And the second odd thing was that there was a huge cane basket at the end of the driveway blocking the entire road, lying on it's side empty with the open end facing us. It wasn't blocking the driveway but it was blocking the entire road.

The dream I had last night, while I understand some of it, there is one aspect I can't seem to find information about. I was driving along a piece of the Princes Highway that I know fairly well, it was night and I was by myself and the further I went the more the bush closed in, the road deteriorated and narrowed until it was full of potholes and there were 2 foxes on the road, and my car started slowing down and I couldn't get it to speed up and I could see these 2 foxes standing in the middle of the potholes just looking at me. I kept getting this feeling like something was wrong and then bright lights gradually appeared behind me like another car catching up with lights on full beam.

I looked up as much as I could on a dream website -

To see a road in your dream, indicates your sense of direction and pursuit of your goals. To see a winding, curvy, or bumpy road in your dream, suggests that you will experience many obstacles and setbacks in achieving your goals. You may be met with unexpected difficulties. If the road is dark, then it reflects the darker or more frightening choices which you have made or are making.

To see a street in your dream, symbolizes your life's path. The condition of the street reflects how much control you have over the direction of your life.

To see potholes in your dream, represents difficulties and setbacks in achieving your goals. You may need to make some changes in how you approach your goals. The dream may also indicate that things are not going smoothly for you in some aspect or situation in your waking life.

To dream that you are driving a car, denotes your ambition, your drive and your ability to navigate from one stage of your life to another. Consider how smooth or rough the car ride is. Whether you are driving the car or a passenger, is indicative of of your active role or passive role in your life. Overall, this dream symbol is an indication of your dependence and degree of control you have on your life.

To dream that a threatening creature is on a road, parallels a hostile situation/person you are encountering in your waking life. It is an obstacle that you need to overcome, no matter how intimidating the situation or person may appear.

To see a fox lurking about in your dream, represents cleverness and resourcefulness. You need to use your insight and intellect to solve some problem. Perhaps you need to conceal your thoughts and/or remain silent. Alternatively, it indicates a period of isolation or loneliness. It is a good way for you to use this time to reflect.

To see the woods in your dream, represents life, fertility, rejuvenation, and spring. Alternatively, it symbolizes the unknown and unconscious. You need to be more open-minded to discovering your potential and instinctual nature. To dream that you are walking through the woods, signifies your return to an aspect of yourself that is innocent and spiritual.

To see light in your dream, denotes a clear mind, plain understanding, and insight. Light has been shed on a once cloudy situation or problem. You have found the truth to a situation or an answer to a problem. To see a bright light in your dream, indicates that you need to move toward a higher level of awareness and feeling.

In relation to the first dream, I see the significance especially at the time of me not driving -
To dream that someone else is driving you, represents your dependence on the driver. You are not in control of your life and following the goals of others instead of your own. To see a basket in your dream, symbolizes the material body. It also represents the things that you are holding onto. So I now understand that one.... and for what it's worth totally agree with it.

The part that I don't get is the significance of the lights being behind me in the second dream. Most of what I read talks about looking at or seeing light ahead of you or surrounding you. I'll study that a little longer I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home