Saturday, May 19, 2007

Standing Up For What You Believe In

I subscribe to a few bits and pieces on the internet which regularly come through my inbox. Not a lot of things but two of the things that do come through daily are the two things that often astound me by their accuracy in terms of their relevance to my life at the moment. One is my horoscope from Astrology.Com and the other is thoughts from The DailyOm.

Yesterday's Daily OM I didn't get to read until last night as I hadn't downloaded my home emails for 2 days and sadly there were 173 of them when I got home last night. But anyway here is what it said.....

Putting Power In Perspective
Always Be For Something
As human beings, we cannot help but be subject to our preferences. However, we do have control over the manner in which these manifest themselves in our lives. Every value we hold dear is an expression of either support or opposition, and it is our perspective that determines whether we are for something or against it. As an example of a situation we are all familiar with at this time: We can direct our energy and intentions into activities that promote peace rather than using our resources to speak out in opposition of war. On the surface, these appear to be two interchangeable methods of expressing one virtue, yet being for something is a vastly more potent means of inspiring change because it carries with it the power of constructive intent.

When you support a cause, whether your support is active or passive, you contribute to the optimism that fuels all affirmative change. Optimistic thoughts energize people, giving them hope and inspiring them to work diligently on behalf of what they believe in. Being for something creates a positive shift in the universe, which means that neither you nor those who share your vision will have any trouble believing that transformation on a grand scale is indeed possible. To be against something is typically easy, as you need only speak out in opposition to it. Standing up for something is often more challenging, because you may be introducing an idea to people that may scare them on a soul level.

Throughout your life, you have likely been told that the actions of one person will seldom have a measurable impact on the world. Yet your willingness to stand up for what you believe in instead of decrying what you oppose can turn the tides of fate. The thoughts you project when you choose to adopt a positive perspective will provide you with a means to actively promote your values and, eventually, foster lasting change.


I honestly believe that this is a large part of why I feel my life is moving ahead in a positive direction now, more so than recent years where I have tended to voice an opinion, or raise an objection, but not necessarily followed through and done anything about it. I have often felt that to do something to make a difference was out of my control - one voice wouldn't make a difference - and sometimes even doubted that I was enough to make a difference even in my own life. Things have changed and aside from the obvious increase in my own sense of self worth, I am now surrounded by a number of people who believe in me, in what I can do and who have given me so much support and encouragement to go on that I feel like I could fly if I put my mind to it. I am indeed so very lucky in that respect to have these special people in my life.

And now I feel that I am taking on that attitude of not just complaining or objecting to the things I see before me that displease me, but I actually attempt to do something about it. And sometimes I guess that can be met with some opposition in itself, especially from those who knew the "old" you and are suddenly faced with a "way of being" that is foreign to them.

Life isn't about being right or wrong. Well to me at least. It's about happiness, and harmony, and pleasure, and passion. And life to me without those 4 integral things is not worth living. And while I no longer live my life to please other people, I am always mindful of how my actions affect those around me and try not to impact in negative ways on them or myself, find some middle road perhaps that we can travel down together in harmony. The journey of life is a pretty long one, and as with any journey, the company you keep and the quality that choice brings to your life can often determine the outcome of the journey.

It distresses me a great deal when anyone seems to go out of their way to create discord for others, especially knowingly. I cannot do anything about the past. But I hope for the future that I will never knowingly put anyone in a position where they are uncomfortable, minimized, victimized or embarrassed. It's probably a pipe dream but wouldn't it be nice if those people I come into contact with in the future would return the favour too....

Well enough of the philosophy - the week overall was a success. The Cereal Offenders went to air 5 days, unfortunately on Friday I was on my own for the most part since my dear friend Julie was unwell and unable to join me. But once again saved by my friends, a phone call from Allen cheered me up mid way, and then Shane arrived just after 8 to help me out for the last 3/4 hour before he headed off to work.... I am blessed to have you two as my friends truly. You both mean the world to me - I hope you know that.

The rest of the week was a blur of 4:00 a.m. alarms and very late days at work. I'm exhausted but elated. I did laugh though this morning when I woke up and looked at the clock and it was 4:00 a.m..... I guess the body is working it's way into a routine afterall. And so I'll look forward to another week and hope that things start to settle down and run a little more efficiently. I'm getting more help with the things I need to do day by day which has to help in the long run. And yes I'm tired, but I'm home if you know what I mean. I'm feeling such a sense of being where I belong in all aspects of my life now that I almost fear any changes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home