Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Year Resolutions...

I must admit they have never really been my cup of tea. It's usually something you really want to change but have no real drive to do. I've never been a fan of making promises I can't keep.

My head is still spinning from so many things. The fact that Lakeisha has moved away is probably one of those really significant things you have happen in your life. It's really hard to watch your kids grow up and become adults. They are still your children and they always will be. Redefining the relationship you have with them comes with all sorts of challenges and pitfalls. At the end of it all you can hope is that you are their friend and that safe place to be when things get tough out there in the real world. I guess the thing I find most reassuring is that I'm in a much better place in my own life these days to actually be that for her. It's a bit like watching a garden grow. You plant the seeds, provide the nourishment and stand back and wait to see it blossom. Without doubt - she is my rose.

Another significant event was Christmas and what a different Christmas it was. For someone who comes from a small family - it was an overwhelming experience to be surrounded by a large family. Not overwhelming in a bad way at all - I thoroughly enjoyed it. And despite the long hours, hard work and planning, I would do it again in a heartbeat. To see the pleasure it brought to Shane to actually spend Christmas with his own family for the first time in some 30 years was more reward than I ever could have imagined.

And even after all the stress of getting the gifts finished in time - I was rewarded many times over from the looks of appreciation as each recipient looked at their gift for the first time. The highlight for me in that regard was absolutely the moment of recognition of the gift which Denise unwrapped. The look and the reaction was priceless and it truly warmed my heart. I really am blessed - not to have a talent for scrapbooking, but to have the ability to give people some joy in their life - there is no better gift than that.

And so now almost all of January is gone already! I have a mere 3 days left of my job that I have come to love as a full time prospect. From the beginning of February I will be working less hours. But I am actually really looking forward to the opportunity of creating more and spending a little more time tending the home duties and my beloved doggies. Life has seemed to be such a rush this past year. It will be nice to slow down a little and spend a bit more time on the things that are important to me and perhaps at the same time not be so tired and lacking energy.

I actually managed to finish a scrapbooking layout for a competition at Scrap Pile this weekend.




It has been such a long time since I have scrapped anything for myself. So this was a nice project to start with. There are so many photos I want to scrap, a number of them have been printed off and sit here waiting for me to select them. Hopefully I will get some of them done in the coming weeks.

The only sad thing from recent weeks is the news that the house we are living in is going back on the market. It came as a shock and a disappointment all in one. I have really enjoyed this house as it lends itself so well to entertaining. We have already created some wonderful memories within it's walls. So it will be a sad day when we have to say goodbye to it. But I am looking at this with absolute knowledge that it is the next step in the journey and that what lies beyond simply waits for us to embrace it as the first days in the rest of our lives. Yes, this has been a home, but home truly is where the heart is, and so wherever we are, wherever we end up - this too will be our home!

But getting back to the subject of the day - New Year Resolutions... I guess if I had one it would be to be kinder to this blog that has been my friend in so many hours of need to blurt! If I were to make such a resolution - it would be to sign in here a little more often and keep this journal of my ever evolving life...... We'll see!

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I must admit I have really missed you blogging, so do hope you remember to update more this year Pretzel..xxoo Mel

7:12 pm  
Blogger KarenB said...

I've missed seeing your creations Maree, so January in the gallery has been a real treat for me!! I love your 'waterfall' effect on this layout, so clever and so well-executed. You are a master of detail, just love it xx

9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home