Sunday, April 19, 2009

18 Years Young.

There have been many moments over the past couple of weeks that I've sat and wondered just where the past 18 years have gone. At times it has seemed as though it's been a very long voyage, but then when I look at Lakeisha, and see the beautiful young woman she has become, I really do have to ask myself where all those years went. It seems like such a short time ago she was just a small child.

As with any parent child relationship, we've had our moments. But I can honestly say that I'm so proud of the person she has grown to be, happy with the improvements she brings to her life, impressed with the choices she makes, and above all just hoping she is happy, healthy is just a nice person to be around. I have no doubt that the wonderful harmony and stability Shane has brought to our lives over the past 7 months has impacted greatly on her life during that time as well. I have noted with much pleasure the immense difference in so many aspects of our lives. I am confident it will continue to set the standard for what is to come.

I really wanted to do something special in marking her 18th Birthday, unfortunately having had several weeks with little work over the past month, it was disappointing to have to abandon the original plan of a big costume party. However, under the circumstances I think I was very pleased with what we came up with. Having a random conversation with our friend Duane in the supermarket one day, I came up with the idea of having a dinner at home for about 12 guests with Duane, who used to work at the restaurant with Lakeisha some time back, as the Surprise Chef.

Many phone calls later, we finally had all the details under control and the plans were set in motion. A surprise party with the friends Lakeisha had lease likely expected to see on her birthday including cousin Nic who she rarely gets to see. Unfortunately we had a couple of casualties along the way with last minute apologies, but it certainly didn't ruin the evening. We were all anticipating the night and least of all Duane didn't disappoint with an absolutely incredible meal.

I have to say the night wouldn't have been anywhere near as special if it weren't for two amazing things. One being the food thanks to Duane, and the second being amazing effort put in by Shane for all the things he did including arranging an amazing cake to just the logistics of getting enough tables, seats, and opening his house up to a bunch of whacky strangers, half of which slept there the night, topping off before the final farewells this morning was a huge batch of the famous Apple & Cinnamon Pancakes.

I have no doubt there a a number of scrapbooking opportunities amongst these. Hopefully time and inspiration will permit as the time goes by, but in the meantime, here are the images from yesterday and last night.....






























Another memorable family event!
Once everyone had hit the road, so did Lakeisha and I, off to visit with Paul. Even though we didn't make the trip quite as early as usual, it was great to sit and chat with him. The countdown is on until he is home. Interesting that as I gazed at the one empty chair last night, I couldn't think of anyone I would have preferred to see sitting there. Hang in there my friend. Mere weeks until that roast is in the oven!

3 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Awww... what a special night, Maree! Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves immensely.

So good to hear it's not long for Paul either.

Take care,
Leah xoxo

11:42 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Maree, looks like an absolutely fantastic night! All that hard work and organising really paid off. This would have been so special for Lakeisha! Hope there is at least one pic of you though.

8:56 am  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi everyone.I quickly saw these photos on your facebook page this morning, but didn't have time to comment.I love the one of Shane and Lakeisha having B'day cuddles.Maree, I reckon this was exactly how it was meant to be.Celebrating Lakeisha s Bday in such a personal small gathering.It looks like she had an absolute ball, and love the table setting and the cake Shaney Poo, the boys and I just loved it.Gotta love Melmo...LOL.A job well done I would say!!!!! Congrats to you both for organising such a beautiful party

6:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home